What is Plex and how does it work?
Plex is a platform that lets you store and stream any media of your choice on the go. Now, you can access all your desired content (music, movies, and photos) anywhere you want.
This medium’s server is compatible with a number of operating systems. Some of them are:
- OS X
- NVIDIA SHIELD
Other Devices: Synology, Netgear, and Drobo
It also supports following formats.
- Photos: TBN, PNG, JPG, RAW
- Movies: AVI, DIVX, MOV, MP4, MKV
- Music: M4A, VMA, MP3
How can you benefit from Plex?
With tons of options available, you can use Plex for your benefit. This is the reason why it has been considered as a rich media platform.
- Collect videos from 150+ sizes
- Organize your content
- Track your history
- Optimize media for different devices
- Protect your privacy
Plex Features: Free vs. Prepaid
Without a subscription, you can avail the following benefits:
- You can use the web App and Plex media server free of cost.
- The company offers free public as well non-mobile apps.
Here’s a list:
- Apple TV
- Plex Media Player
- Smart TVs
- Android TVs
- Chrome cast
- Game consoles
- Amazin Fire TV
- Some mobile apps (windows, android, and iOS) can be used for free; however, there are some features that are limited.
Note: Plex will not charge you for your own collected media.
- With a paid subscription, you can sync media to your cloud so that you can watch from your mobile.
- Along with that, you will get access to all paid apps.
- The apps for few devices come with in-app purchase feature. This is essential in order to upgrade the app. After one time paying to Plex, you will be able to activate this feature.
What features do you get when you upgrade to premium?
The list of advantages is quite long after you upgrade your Plex to get premium services.
Here is the main feature that you can expect to get:
- With a digital antenna, you can watch live TV.
- You have the option of mobile synching so that you can watch content offline.
- The option of Plex Home allows you to select the account for your family. This way you can limit content for guest users.
- You will get early access to incoming apps.
- You can record live broadcasts with the help of DVR functionality.
- Geo-location will allow you to automatically add tags to your photos. It will make photo browsing quite easy for you.
- You can insert lyrics by using the feature of Lyrics Find in your music library.
Is Plex Better than Kodi?
Yes, Plex is better than Kodi for a number of reasons. However, before we jump to conclusions, let’s have a look at some of the features of both media platforms.
- Both are home theatre apps that have almost same functions.
- The ideology behind Plex is that it aims to make home theatre software simple for its consumer.
- On the other hand, Kodi is majorly an open source project, which becomescomplex with an addition of devices. Furthermore, ittook a long time before it actually surfaced. With the passage of time, it has evolved into a more powerful software.
- Kodi streams content from computers that share the same network. With Plex, you have the liberty of syncing on multiple networks.
- The biggest problem with Kodi is that it doesnot have the feature of transcoding. Therefore, you can expect lagging or even compatibility issues with different files.
Considering the few factors mentioned above, it can be said that Plex has won the race. Hence, those people who desire a simple function and tons of features should opt for Plex, without giving a second thought.
Best Channels You Can Access Using Plex
After installing VPN, you can watch interesting content from a wide range of channels. Some of which are listed below:
- Let me Watch This
- MTV Shows
- Internet Archive
- HDBits Subtitles
- Library Updater
- Old Movie Time
- Full Movies on Reddit
- TuneIn Radio
- RSS Feeds
- SS Plex
Requirements for Using Plex
In order to proficiently run Plex on your system, you need to make sure that you have all the following things:
PC with an Internet Connection
Your PC should have a high-speed CPU with enough RAM. In case, you will be frequently using Plex, you need to have a proper hardware installed.
What are we talking about?
- More than usual transcoding
- Tons of running apps
These two functions will let alone create lagging issues. Therefore, it will be good to have a fast running CPU with all the required drivers installed.
Here, an important thing to note is that you don’t have to use a specific operating system. As long as you have the latest version of Plex, you will get the desired functionality.
It is suggested to use a cable, Wi-Fi or ADSL connection. Moreover, you should have a Wi-Fi network that is equipped with atleast 802.11ac or 802.11n WLAN.
The best thing about Plex is that it can stream content from almost everything. Therefore, getting a certain device is not a concern. However, to give you some idea, here are few top devices:
- Xbox (360 and One)
- PlayStation (3 and 4)
- FreeBSD Devices
- Windows 10
- Apple TV
Why Do You Need a VPN When Using Plex?
With Plex, you can see a number of content from world’s famous channels. However, many people cannot get a hold of most channels because some of them are blocked in some regions of the world.
The good news is that you can still access the content even it is restricted, after installing a Plex VPN.
Benefits of Using VPN
- VPN will dodge all the regional restrictions.
- Your internet privacy will remain protected.
- You will be able to unblock all Plex channels.
- A good VPN is also compatible with all common devices.
- You willexperiencehigh-speed streaming without any interruption.
- VPN service providers are known for their great customer service. In case you encounter any problem, it will be instantly solved.
- Some VPN companies have servers all over the world. Therefore, no matter where you are, you can access your favorite content.
- The best VPN companies also offer a 30-day refund, so that if you are not satisfied with the service, you may get your money back.
Best Plex VPN
Some of the best Plex VPNs among a whole lot are mentioned below, some of which might be just what you need.
This software offers uncrackable encryption and in this way, customers can keep their online history secure. Furthermore, NordVPN offers no logging policy, which is why it has been considered as the best Plex VPN by many people.
The compatibility of ExpressVPN with all devices is what makes it stand apart from the crowd. Not to mention, its wide range of coverage worldwide with over 1,500 servers. ExpressVPN tops among other VPNs in unblockingregionally restricted content.
VyprVPN is considered as the best Plex VPN that shields your online identity. Therefore, you can access blocked content from anywhere in the world. Along with that, it also facilitates its customers with high-speed browsing.
VPNs to Avoid Using with Plex
There are also few VPNs that are not recommended to be used with Plex in any case. To give you some idea, we have prepared a list of 3 VPNs that you should avoid.
The free version of Hotspot Shield is most popular than its paid version. The biggest deal breaker is this company’s focus on making more money through different methods. This practice compromises on user’s privacy, and as a result, their information becomes vulnerable to cyber intruders. Along with that, this VPN also collects cookies through browsers.
Considering these important factors, many IT experts do not recommend the use of this VPN.
HideMyAss has been quite controversial due to one main incident. This company has always claimed they have zero log policy. However, back in the day, it gave log information to police authorities. Due to this, some of its users were arrested based on their activity.
The company has made it clear that the software doesnot read user’s content. However, the reality is quite opposite. This fact is that HMA can reach some metadata logs. This log contains details of customer’s sensitive information, like their IP addresses. Therefore, not only law enforcement but also cyber thieves can access anyone’s digital location. This is why HMA has not been suggested for secure internet browsing.
Another one in the list of vulnerable VPNs is VPN book. This service promises an OpenVPN configuration especially for all free networks of servers. It has been well received by many customers. The only matter of concern is that many have no idea about the workforce behind this service. A few also suspect that VPN Book also provides information to the police. Therefore, this VPN should not be preferred as a Plex VPN to carry out your streaming adventures.
A Final Word
Considering all the factors in mind, you should choose the Plex VPN that will not only provide you security but will also fulfill all your requirements.